Monday, January 4, 2010

Motivation for the Year and Helper Pics for January

I usually do a Motivator for the year. Last year we built an ice cream "Sunday" one scoop at a time for each song we learned. When the children knew the song "Program Perfect" they earned their scoop and then we celebrated the Saturday before our Program with a big Ice Cream Sundae party. They were so excited about it all year long.

This year, we're going to build our Pizza. They get a slice each song Introduction Sunday, and then they get to add toppings as they make that song "Program Perfect" Then, the Saturday before our program in October...we'll have a Primary Pizza Party. If you like this idea, you can easily make a chart out of poster board. I recently got hooked on making felt food for my kiddos and so I'm going to make a pizza out of felt that we can use. It will be an eight slice pizza instead of a four slice pizza and more toppings too, but here's a picture to get the idea. I made a whole bunch of felt food for a Christmas gift for my kids and it was way easy and way fun. If you want me to send the pattern I made and the instructions on how to make this, leave your email in the comment box and I'll figure out how to get that too you.

Anyhow.... I also decided to solve my "picking helper" problem. I'm tired of the sticks...It was annoying and I had several children come to me saying that they hadn't been picked in forever and just knew their name wasn't in there. So, some brilliant person on the primusic website suggested a great idea to do something fun to pick the names and the child could keep it afterward. That helped me to think outside of the box for a min, and I ended up back in the box...the crayon box. Here's what my crazy brain came up with.

I'm going to buy 1 box of 64 crayons for Sr. and one for Jr. I'm going to print out some small labels that have the different children's names on them. It will say, "Thanks for being a great helper in music today. Child's Name." I'll bring my box of crayons with me and call it my "Primary Colors". Then, I'll choose a color (choose a child) and they get to keep their crayon. I'll make sure and have some extras so I can add newbies last min and also visitor crayons to include those who visit our primary.

When the boxes are empty, I'll post my next idea for choosing children here.

I'll be posting my Repeat Week game mid-week so stay tuned.

*Thecrazychorister

29 comments:

Angie said...

Ooooooh - I LOVE the crayon idea! I am also very tired of the sticks. I'll have to try this!

Jeanelle said...

I love both of these ideas - thanks for sharing. My email is jeanelle dot shaw at gmail dot com. Would you mind sending me the felt pizza instructions?

Amy said...

By the way, when we did the sticks, we colored one end red and one end green. Green means you can pick that person. After you pick a green one and the person helps, you put the stick back in upside down with the red side up. So, as you look into the jar of sticks, you know to pick the green ones. Once they're all red, you simply flip them all over and start again. That way, everyone gets a chance to help before anyone gets to go twice. Worked like a charm.

Unknown said...

I love the crayon idea. Adorable!

Jonathan and Janil said...

I always enjoy your blog and your ideas. You have such talent!! I would love a pattern for the food if you get a chance. My email is kwonjin_@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Karena said...

I'm not selling them. They are on my blog for all to see. If you click on the images they will show up in an 8x8 format. What you do with them after that is your business.

Karena said...

Sorry, I didn't tell you that I'm "A Pleasant Sunday".

Aaron Walker said...

you're brilliant - as always. i'd love it if you sent me the food patterns. let me know if you need me to send you my e-mail address again.
thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Amy Coontz said...

Would love the pattern acoontz at gmail dot com

SO glad my primary is small enough that some sundays everyone gets a turn!

Aleesha said...

I just got called to be the primary chorister last week. Your blog has been heaven sent in helping me get ideas of how I'm going to pull this off. Thanks! Keep the good ideas coming.

Joanna said...

I love all your ideas. They are such a help. This is my first time ever being a Primary Chorister, I didn't know how much thought actually goes into planning all the activities. I would love to hear more about your Motivator. I would probably do the ice cream one, just because I have a major sweet tooth. When did you add the scoops and was it a poster? Any tips would be very helpful. My email is jlivaudais@hotmail.com.

Allison said...

I would love the pizza instructions.
allison dot plummer @ yahoo.com

Mandy said...

I really think you are my shinning star of inspiration. Thank you for sharing your time and wonderful ideas with us. Our primary is so large, I ask each primary teacher to choose my helpers each week, then they keep track for me, and the children are very reverent for their teachers so they will choose them. I don't ever have to discipline.

Emma said...

I just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing all of your great ideas - I have been the chorister for the past year and have used many of them. I am finally released from my calling, which I'll admit with a big sigh of relief! Thank heavens for people like you that love this calling and are an inspiration to those of us who struggle with it! Much appreciation!
Emma
SLC, UT

Meleana said...

You are an answer to my prayers! Thanks for the great ideas! I would love the pizza instructions! email is markmoore4@gmail.com. thanks!

Unknown said...

When you teach a song do you always have the picture prompts posted even when you are doing hand actions to try to remember the words? I am never really sure when I should put the pictures away and have them rely on their memories. I want to be an effective as possible. What do you suggest?
Thank you!

Niki said...

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing talent with us! I would love the pizza instructions nkemple@gmail.com

Emily said...

Hi - love your ideas. I would love the pizza instructions. thanks! momem at mac dot com

Tressa said...

I'd love the pizza instructions...thanks for all your great ideas!!
tressarowe@gmail.com

Sally said...

i would love the pattern too, I love the idea of the passing songs off at the end of the month... I need to go talk to my primary presidency to see if we can do this.... what fun thanks soooo much for all the work you do.
sallydurkin@shaw.ca

Kaedell said...

I just found your blog today and it has really made me excited about being the chorister. It is a lot of work! I love your ideas and would really appreciate your cute felt pizza pattern. I love the idea of a scoop of ice cream too. So fun! I would love a copy of your poster or whatever you did for the primary ice cream sundae idea. Thanks a bunch! Super creative! I will be visiting your blog often for ideas:)
kaedell79@hotmail.com

Goodwin Family said...

I love all your ideas! Thanks! just a quick question on the motivator ideas. how do you do it with both jr and sr primary? Do you have a different one for each or use the same and when they both have it down pretty good you put the scoop/topping on? Fantastic ideas!! tcmgoodwin@gmail.com

Jokilyn said...

I would LOVE the pizza instructions! I'm new to the chorister world and absolutely LOVE your ideas!! Thanks so much!! jokilyn at gmail dot com

Janae said...

I would love the felt pizza instructions AND any ideas you have on making the ice cream chart!! The crayon idea to pick names is SO cute. I've done sticks but half the time there are so many people missing that I just end up calling 10 for every 1 that is there. I think this will ensure that everyone gets a turn!

Janae said...

Oh, my e-mail address is janaepew@gmail.com THANKS in advance--you are so creative!

Heidi said...

I'd love the pizza patterns
heidihafen at gmail dot com

JaNae Adams said...

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. Will you send me your felt pizza instructions? Thank you!!

CYD said...

I'd love the pizza instructions and the ice cream if available. thanks for making my calling easier and fun!
cyddu@yahoo.com

Lara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.