Sunday, January 31, 2010

Introduction Week--He Sent His Son--"Door #1 OR Door #2"

Crazy to think we're on to a new month already. I am excited to review this song with our primary. I am sure the entire Sr. Primary knows it by heart already, and so most of the work will go on in Jr. Primary....but, we're going to have fun learning the deeper meaning to the song this month for everyone, and of course have fun doing it.

Prep:

2 Heavy poster boards. ( First, Cut a door in each poster board making sure to leave one side attached so it can open and close like a door. Use Glitter Glue to write a #1 on one board and a #2 on the second board. Second, fancy the boards up any way you wish to make them bright and eye catching. Third, attach magnets or heavy tape to the back of the boards so they can be hung on the chalk board or wall.

6 3X5 cards that have the following questions written out (one question per card)

How could the Father Tell the World of Love and Tenderness?
How could the Father Show the World the Pathway we should go?
How could the Father Tell the World of Sacrifice, of Death?
What Does the Father ask of Us?
What do the Scriptures Say?
What Does He (the Father) Ask?

6 Pictures that coordinate (there are a lot) with the following phrases. (attach each phrase to the picture it goes with. Make sure the pictures and phrases can fit easily behind your doors)

He sent His Son a new born babe, with peace and holiness
He sent His Son to Walk with man, on Earth that we may know
He sent His Son to die for us, and rise with living breath
Have Faith Have Hope, live like His Son.
Help Others on Their way
Live Like His Son

6 Pictures that Coordinate with the following phrases...or create your own phrases and find pictures that go with them .

He Gave us All Ice Cream and Cake
He sent His Son to do all our chores for us so we could go play outside
He Sent His Son to die for us, but that was the end
Complain a lot to other people when things are not going your way
Only help others when there's something in it for you
Eat All your vegetables

Picture Prompts if needed


Presentation:

Before Primary Begins, set up your doors at the front of the room. Place the first two picture phrases behind each door. Tell the children that we get to find out what our monthly song is today. To help us discover it we're going to play a game called "What's behind door #1....or door #2". Call a child to the front. Sing the first line of the song to the child..."How could the Father Tell the World of Love and Tenderness?" Then ask the child if S/he thinks the answer is behind door 1 or 2. Open the door they choose. Ask the child if they think that is the correct answer. If it is...have the entire primary sing the question and the answer. If it is not, let the child have the option of seeing what's behind the other door. If the child says that they think the silly phrase is the right answer, humor them by trying to put that to the music....and then explain that not only does it not fit the music, but it doesn't fit Heavenly Father's plan either and quickly talk about the significance of the line your singing...and open the other door for them.

As the child is sitting down, quickly replace what is behind each door (or have an adult helper do this for you while you are singing the song) and go onto the next question.

Continue this until you have gone through the whole song. Asking questions and then answering them. If you have time at the end, sing the song once or twice all the way through. Make sure and bear Testimony that the Plan of Salvation was laid out before we came to Earth, and that if we understand and accept our Savior's Love we can come back to Father in Heaven.

**thecrazychorister

20 comments:

Jenny said...

I love this! I can't wait to try it out! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful ideas.

Sarah said...

Great idea! Thanks so much.

Ben and Jessica said...

I love the activity! It's seems like a big production but not hard to put together! Thanks!

PJ Productions said...

Awesome idea! The kids are going to love it.

Lisa said...

Keep the idea's coming:) I am so new at this calling and you have helped SOOOOO much! Thank you!!!!

Ashley said...

I love this idea! I've been trying to think of a fun way to present the song..this is awesome! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!

The Farnsworth Family said...

I have been thinking and thinking and honestly couldn't have come up with anything more fabulous! You are wonderful!

Katelyn said...

I just found out about your site. It is fantastic! Now I wish I was the actual chorister and not just a substitute for the week. Thanks for the idea.

Lance and Sally Sagers said...

So cute, I can't wait to try this!

Heather said...

I have been so stressed about an idea for this song, you are a genius,
I LOVE it!!!

Jamie said...

Oh my, I am sooo glad I found your blog! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas, I will be a regular. My son is so excited to figure out what the game is tomorrow after seeing the two, big doors. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Becky said...

It's the night before and I had my question and answers ready to go, but stumbled across your blog. DOORS! What a great way to peak their interest and I have poster board to boot! Mine probably won't be as cute as the rest of yours but the ideas are just the same. Fantastic idea. Thanks, Melanie!

Anonymous said...

I'm in nursing school right now, and that combined with my other responsibilities with family (two little girls and a husband who is also in nursing school) and church I am stretched thin a lot of the times...your posts have saved me! The kids loved your idea for today...I didn't use the doors, but I had each question posted with the #1 and 2 below it. They laughed so hard at the funny answers. :D

(Funny side note...you now have two posts in a row from two sisters...I've been using ideas from your blog for awhile now, I'm glad my sister Becky found you as well! Just another way to make the world seem smaller! (Becky and I live in different states.)

Mandy said...

Thank you Melanie for all your help today! I just received a new calling, and have been pouting because I miss primary so much. My kids tell me they just stand and sing, and it isn't fun anymore. I was called at the last moment to fill in today and once again because of you, we had an awesome primary singing time! You are a blessing to me!

Jen said...

Thanks for the great idea. It worked so well for both my JR and SR kids. Thanks for you blog, it really helps out for those of us who are not so creative.

california smiths said...

This worked so well, and the kids got a kick out of the wrong answers and seemed to learn the song great from the activity. Thank you!!

Lindsay said...

This was brilliant and worked well for me today. It was a little tricky in JR because the song is so long, slow and doctrinal. But it went just right in Senior. Thank you for sharing and making my life a whole lot easier!

The Didlake's said...

Great site! So glad for your wonderful ideas. Just wanted to point out that one of the words is wrong I didn't want you to teach the wrong ones to your kiddos. "He sen His Son a new born babe WITH peace and holiness" Not in peace and holiness. Thanks for sharing!

Alicia said...

My primary kids had SO MUCH FUN with this! I couldn't have asked for a better idea to review this song from last year. Thanks!

Melinda said...

I don't think I've commented here, before, so before I go on, I have to say THANK YOU! So much for sharing your ideas. This idea worked wonderfully, despite my blunder that I was for SURE I had poster board left and found on Sunday morning that I was mistaken. I used towels and draped them over the free standing chalk board and called them Curtains. (My husband's brilliant idea)